Wednesday 15 December 2010

Persephone Secret Santa

It's the Persephone Secret Santa reveal day today and its time for me to reveal my secret Santa.

I was very lucky that mine arrived all the way from across the Atlantic from Minnesota and I received a wonderful package from Amy at newcenturyreading. Bizarrely enough I visited Minneapolis/St Pauls many years ago during the summer where I took a trip on the lakes, drank loads of long Island Iced teas and merriment was had until the early hours LOL

I apologise now for the very naff photo taken with my phone (I've lost my camera) but as you can see I have not one but two books to get very excited about. The Persephone title is 'Someone at a Distance' by Dorothy Whipple. I'm really pleased with this choice because I've heard quite a bit about Dorothy Whipple and her book about a deceived wife and foolish husband looks like it goes beneath the surface which always appeals to me.



I thought the second book at first glance was some kind of travel book as it doesn't look at all like the kind of paperbacks we get over here in England and plus the title is 'Main Street'. However once I looked closer I realised that in fact it was a novel by Sinclair Lewis, the only Minnesotan Nobel Prize winning author and is a scathing look at the authors home town.

I would like to thank my secret Santa sending very much for this, I thought the second book was such a thoughtful gesture and a wonderful surprise and I am looking forward to reading it shortly and adding it to my American Project list.

Last but not least there were also some chocolates in the package (I was a bit overwhelmed with the generosity at this point) I am sure you can't tell from the photo but on the day I received them I was er 'resting my eyes' on the couch when my two year old son very stealthy and without actually taking the lid off them ate nearly all of them. Thankfully he saved me one which was very nice! Since all traces of the stolen ones have gone my son also gave them the thumbs up.

Lastly I'd like to say that organising something like this takes time and then the person organising it all has to worry about whether the packages have all arrived etc. So I'd also like to say a huge thank-you to Claire for organising and coordinating us all so well.

Posted by Jess

10 comments:

  1. You received a great book! I read it not too long ago and liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How generous of Amy! Whipple goes beneath the surface like nobody else & I hope you enjoy your Persephone; I have heard great things about Sinclair Lewis and Main Street, especially recently, so will be interested in finding out more once you have read it.

    Thank you so much for participating, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got it, and I'm glad you like it! I had to find a way to contribute to the American Project. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! And lagniappes too-- bet that did make your day! I can't even imagine how to organize a bloggy secret santa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how wonderful! Enjoy your goodies! Secret Santas are full of awesome, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been longing to read Someone at a Distance for ages, myself. The whole premise sounds fascinating, and somehow, current. I loved Main Street. It's a slow book, not action packed at all, but very interesting in the revelation of small town America and one girl's dreams. They made me examine my own. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great present! Your Santa has been very generous. I hope you enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this blogger exchange -- a nice twist. How nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I opted to not do the Persephone swap this year, but I've so enjoyed seeing everyone's recaps. It seems you got quite a nice, thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard Main Street is wonderful, it's been on my to-read list for awhile (or maybe I just want to read it because the main character is a librarian like me!). And I LOL'd at your "resting your eyes" story -- I say that all the time, and I got it from MY mother. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete