Monday 13 September 2010

Troll A Love Story by Johanna Sinisalo


Hows this for a synopsis – a gay photographer nicknamed Angel living in Finland comes home one evening drunk after being rejected by a man he has fancied for sometime, he notices that some kids are kicking a small troll outside his apartment and he decides to take the little fellow in (despite it being illegal to keep a wild animal) and nurse it back to health. Oh because Trolls were discovered in 1907 and although rare are accepted as part of Northern Scandinavia’s wildlife. If you then throw in Angels complicated sex life (forget love triangles, how about a love rectangle) and his increasing sexual and protective attraction to the troll as it grows up, you have yourself one very quirky book.

There are several narrators throughout which change with each chapter which are typically 1-3 pages short and interwoven throughout are academic writings, Poems and stories on Trolls.

This is a very quick read and proves rather intriguing and it’s certainly different. Yes it is a love story of sorts but certainly not in the conventional sense and there are some funny moments as Angel adapts to living with a Troll which poos on his floor and eats live guinea pigs.

But rather than having the feel of a fable or fairytale, the book looks more at relationships and what drives the characters attractions. It looks at how some of the characters will use sex for their own gain, play with the power within their relationships and the reader sees how the Troll is not the only kept ‘pet’ in the book.

Would I recommend this? Its funny, sweet and sometimes downright gross and disturbing but its certainly interesting and says a lot more than it first appears to.

Oh and in case you were wondering, there is no 'sex scene' between a man and a Troll (considering the Troll is a juvenile it would just be all kinds of wrong.)

This book is also known under the title Not Before Sundown.

Verdict 3 ½ stars

Posted by Jess

8 comments:

  1. Whether this book is a huge success or a total flop, I think I need to read it. This is the most absurd story I have ever heard of. I found you guys today via Jackie at Farm Lane. I am thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! This sounds very, very interesting! Promptly adding to my TBR - thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've definitely heard about this one before, not been tempted though.

    I'm slowly thinking it might be worth a read though. Great review thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear you read the best books! Added to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about this book from... Eva maybe? Anyway, I have it on my tbr shelf and just keep passing it by for some strange reason. This was a great review and really made me think I need to pick it up sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds very strange...but possibly good. Probably going on my to-read list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. pinksheepcafe - hello, I have also popped over a visit after reading Jackies blog. It is a bazare story isn't it?

    Bethany - its quirky and odd but a very short read also. Hope you enjoy it.

    Darren - Its not a book that will change the world of anything so if it doesnt appeal then dont worry about it. If you see it around cheap then its worth picking up.

    Amanda & Amy - I cant remember where I read about this on but Ive seen a couple of bloggers with it. Its alot easier to get hold of a copy in the states than the UK though.

    Zara - strange and werid and disburbing. This was on my TBR pile for AGES before I got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember reading Eva's review on A Striped Armchair, but I'd forgotten about it until now. I do really want to read this one! I love strange and disturbing (if it's written well etc.) but I think it's still in hardcover or something...?

    ReplyDelete